On a cold and wet Monday evening, a group of Year 7 students and their families demonstrated long-term thinking by investing in a seminar on effective study habits for Barker students. Dr Matthew Hill drew on his research and experience teaching at Barker and at universities to present a series of thought-provoking aspects of study skills. Families had the opportunity to discuss each of them and put them into practice.
The session’s talking points included:
- Understanding habit development
- Location, location, location
- Scheduling for success
- The why and how of using a diary
- Types of study
- Maximising memory
- Momentum: Show up and start
Resources for Barker families include:
- Selected Slides from the presentation
- Barker College Year 7 Formal Assessment Manual
- Soft Copy Homework Planner (for download)
- Barker Institute Journal Article – Understanding our Successful Learners
- Barker Institute Journal Article – 2017 HSC Results: How to pass on their success to their successors
- Information and links regarding FamilyZone at Barker which allows parents to support their children’s device use through boundaries and automated restrictions.