The Barker Institute exists to use the rich intellectual resources of the school to facilitate learning and growth in the School and the wider community.
The Head of Barker College, Mr Phillip Heath AM, established the Barker Institute in 2014, combining the existing teaching, learning and research initiatives of the school with emerging trends in education.
The Barker Institute was developed to facilitate and support the strategic plan of the school, aligning with key aspects of the vision for the future. It draws on much of the work done previously in the Research@Barker domain and the substantial body of work developed by Dr Greg Cunningham across Teaching and Learning of the School.
The Barker Institute allows the latest research and evidence to be used to improve teaching practice and student understanding.
Key to this will be the establishment of strong learning networks amongst educators through regular sharing of information, combined with collaborative partnerships with other educational organisations.
As society and the students of the 21st century face continual developments in the use of emerging technology, socialisation and access to information, they need to be able to think creatively, problem solve and innovate to find solutions to the demands that they will encounter in their lives. Teaching practice needs to address these changes to ensure that we are catering for the needs and future learning of all students in our care.
The Barker Institute was developed to facilitate and support the strategic plan of the school, aligning with key aspects of the vision for the future.
The underlying the focus of the Barker Institute is to contribute to the local, national and global discussion about education, while also offering ongoing professional learning to staff and the broader Barker community. Key to this will be a strong research base.
The Barker Institute has the mission of:
- Facilitating a community of learners
- Implementing a globally focused 21st century model of learning that promotes outstanding educational experience for all Pre K-12 students
- Nurturing a culture of collaboration in our community where innovation, expertise and resources are shared
- Fostering a community that innovates through the use of emerging research and educational practice, consciously striving to be educational leaders
- Forming meaningful relationships with local, national and global communities